To provide Programme Management, project co-ordination and planning expertise to a range of high profile projects related to research and development in the future of transport systems. You will manage multiple projects or programmes ensuring delivery of high-quality products in the innovative area such as autonomous vehicles, open data and the latest transport modelling techniques (such as Virtual and Augmented reality).
The role will ensure the programme is completed to a consistently high standard, within budget, that objectives are met on time, suiting the company's image and objectives and ensuring the programme meets professional standards and industry regulations.
In a typical week, you will be expected to manage competing priorities between yours and others’ programmes as timescales inevitably shift and resources are required to be moved between projects within the business. You will need to report on project progress, including financial tracking of projects, and communicate with both clients and your project teams to ensure that the project stays on track.
Significant experience in the key elements of Project and Programme Management is expected and should include, project planning, financial control, risk management, resource management and project reporting. Some form of professional accreditation is also expected such as PRINCE2, APM or PMI.
A key responsibility of the role will be to lead project teams and collaborate/influence high profile stakeholders and clients.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- Manage multiple parallel projects using methodologies suited to the type of project work being undertaken.
- Review, develop and maintain project planning tools and policies.
- Prepare project documentation, including project initiation documentation, risk control documents, progress reports, project plans, change control and other documentation as required for individual projects.
- Ensure delivery expectations are communicated with the business; ensure stakeholders are kept informed of progress and risk. Ensure delivery teams are aware of their roles, responsibilities and tasks.
- Lead project boards and report up to senior management.
- Ensure the choice of project methodology fits the type of work being undertaken, applying agile or waterfall techniques as appropriate.
- Manage own professional development and keep up to date with current technology, methodologies and processes relevant to the role.
- The delivery of any other additional and reasonable duties, as requested by your manager.
- Defining the project’s governance arrangements.
- Planning and designing the Project and proactively monitoring its progress, resolving issues and initiating appropriate corrective action.
- Managing the project's budget on behalf of the SRO, monitoring expenditure and costs against delivered and realised benefits as the project progresses.
- Facilitating the appointment of individuals to project teams. Ensuring there is allocation of common resources and skills within the project's individual projects.
- Ensuring effective quality assurance and the overall integrity of the project - focusing inwardly on the internal consistency of the project, and outwardly on dependencies and the interfaces between projects.
- Managing third party contributions to the project and communications with all stakeholders.
- Managing risks to the project's successful outcome.
- Working with the business change manager or equivalent on the transition to the business as usual position.
- Initiating extra activities and other management interventions wherever gaps in the project are identified or issues arise.
Complexities – Problem Solving / Planning / Creativity – Innovation
- Manage the day to day complex technical projects of work.
- Build and maintain a high level of motivation and trust across the various team.
- Be creative and dynamic in the ways in which the team are lead and managed.
- Be able to balance dynamic workload effectively.
- Inspire and motivate team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent at handling conflicts.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Minimum degree level (2:1).
- APMP, MSP.
Demonstrable knowledge of:
- Successfully managing complex projects, ideally in the transportation sector or other technical environments.
- High level of commercial experience.
- Experience in procurement activities and the development and management of contracts.
- Client perspective of working with an SME.
- Leading bidding activities.
Skills and Competencies (Core/General)
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to command respect.
- Conflict Resolution and negotiation skills.
- Good knowledge of project management principles.
- Be comfortable in an uncertain environment.
- Benefit Focused.
- A constant risk management mindset.
- Leadership Skills.
- People management.
Skills and Competencies (Technical)
- Have achieved APMP and / or MSP level.
- Excellent planning and project management skills with the ability to priorities and deliver to deadlines.
- Demonstrable experience of managing multiple projects and of creating appropriate documentation and managing information flow.
- Experience of change management, and the ability to introduce positive change.
- Ability to grasp key issues quickly and, when necessary, to deal with effectively with complex situations and at short notice.
Demonstration of Company Values
- Care: Resourcing projects to ensure that each member of the team has a balanced workload.
- Collaboration: Working with other parts of the business to improve processes and procedures.
- Courage: To challenge the project team when things are not progressing as expected.
- Integrity: confronts tough issues directly and can discuss the issues honestly, even when people don’t like the answer.
- Project Management Accreditation or equivalent demonstrable experience.
- Familiarity with standard project management methodologies and experience of their application.
- Experience of the Project Management of complex projects.
- Experience of managing Collaborative R&D projects in a consortium.
- Experience of the transport sector would be an advantage.
- Experience of managing technical scope and quality assurance.
- Experience of managing a range of high profile stakeholders as all levels.
- The development of new processes to deliver projects management outputs would be an advantage.
- Experience in bidding for funded activities and in particular public funding bodies such as DfT and Innovate UK would be an advantage.
- Experience in the use of ERP systems such as SAP particularly for the reporting of project financial performance would be an advantage.
- Pension 2:1.
- Life assurance 4x base salary.
- Private medical insurance, for single, couple, and family.
- Health cashback scheme.
- Discounted parking.
- 25 days per year.
- Rail season ticket loan.
About Transport Systems Catapult
The Transport Systems Catapult is one of eleven technology and innovation centres established and overseen by the UK's innovation agency, Innovate UK. We were created to drive and promote the Intelligent Mobility market – using new and emerging technologies to transport people and goods more smartly and efficiently. We are helping UK businesses create products and services that meet the needs of the world's transport systems as they respond to ever-stretching demands. We help sell UK capability on the global stage, while also promoting the UK as a superb test bed for the transportation industry. With a clear emphasis on collaboration, we are bringing together diverse organisations across different modes of transport, breaking down barriers and providing a unique platform for meeting the world's most pressing transport challenges.
Apply for this job