The general objective of this study is to support interoperability and the deployment of ERTMS through analysing the necessary steps to achieve a simpler on-board CCS configuration from an operator perspective, reducing cost and complexity of upgrade, retrofit and maintenance.
The specific objectives of the study should be to identify:
Click for more info
- in detail the infrastructure deployment required to achieve ERTMS-only or ERTMS+1 class B systems on 3 relevant networks focused on Core Network/Rail Freight corridors.
- the minimum OBU strategy for operators, keepers, and owners to run on these networks in the period prior to achieving ERTMS-only or ERTMS+1 class B system.
- whether accelerated ERTMS infrastructure deployment compared to current plans makes economic sense
- technical solutions for the selected ETCS/class b combinations to maximize operational impact
- the national technical rules on the network that act as impediments to the installation of standard ETCS equipment
- a testing and authorization strategy for the OBU deployment